September 4, 2008

Once a bum, always a bum.

Not very much has actually happened between now and my last post, and at the moment I'm not exactly compelled to detail the last 48 hours, so this update will be brief.

I did finally retrieve my packages from the post office, only to find that they took a leisurely 4 hour break in the middle of the day. When the P.O. reopened at 2pm, I sent off my old stuff and we finally headed toward the trail. Basically, there was only one mountain to climb - Mt. Moosilauke (moose-uh-lock-ee) - which is about a 5 mile ascent to our first summit above treeline. The climb really wasn't that bad. Definitely not as difficult as Smarts Mtn. And the views at the top were tremendous. An excellent preview of what we should be encountering throughout the Whites. We spent the night at a shelter just below the summit and headed on down the other side of the mountain the next morning. What's on the other side of the mountain? Well a road, of course. That leads to another town, of course. Where there is another awesome hostel, of course. Where we are now staying, of course.

Do I really even need to update everyone about what we're doing? At any given time you can probably assume that we're either on a road or in town, with a slim outside chance that we might be hiking somewhere. But definitely not for long. We came into Lincoln, NH yesterday and set up camp at a hostel affectionately called "Chet's Place," as it is a house owned by Chet, who lets all the hiker trash crash his pad. There were probably about 20 people there last night, and I'm sure a similar number tonight. We initially had planned a slackpack for today, but that quickly ended up turning into a zero day instead. I'm assuming that we'll begin hiking of some sort tomorrow, but the way things are going these days, I don't even know anymore. Oh well. I'm stilling enjoying every moment of whatever we're doing, so that's all that really matters. Now I've got to go stuff my face with some terribly unhealthy fast food. I encourage you to do the same.

No comments: