January 13, 2008

I've got a fever...

So the title of this here blog is a Trail term (so I'm told) that refers to the intense urge thru-hikers get every Spring to finally get up, gear up, and set out on the trail, the southern terminus of which is Springer Mountain, Georgia.

And I've definitely caught it.

However, I've realized that at this point in my preparations, I'm really just jonesin' to get going so that I don't have to make any more preparations. I'm not exactly one for thorough planning. I'd rather just get a general idea and work it out as I go.

Unfortunately, when the general idea is to walk into the wilderness for days at a time, carrying all of your liveliness on your back, for over 2000 miles... it may be in one's best interest to set a slightly more solid framework. Not to mention take some extra precautions for all those "what if" scenarios. They say the more you plan ahead of time, the easier it will be later (whoever they are).

But I'm not sure I can be bothered with all of that. I'm kind of ready to just go and tackle all those what-ifs when I cross them. John Steinbeck said, "A journey is like a marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it." And I like Steinbeck, so I'll take his word for it.

I know I'm not actually going to wander out there blind with a pocket knife and some Ramen. I'll always do the traditional last-minute scramble. I just wish I didn't have to keep waiting for the last minute to get here.

No comments: