April 11, 2008

Do you believe in magic?

So probably the best thing that a thru-hiker could ever come across on the trail, next to an All-You-Can-Eat buffet, is something called "Trail Magic." Trail magic can come in all forms, such as people leaving extra fuel at a shelter, or getting a ride to town from a stranger. Basically it is any helpful thing that a person does for a hiker out of the kindness of their heart, and these people are called Trail Angels. Obviously, the best kind of trail magic you could ever come across is the edible kind, and lately, I have had a huge dose of it. In the last week, between stopping in towns and trail angels, I have only had to cook one meal for myself (and really that was just so I could get rid of some of the food I was carrying).

It all started last Wednesday, when I was getting back on the trail from Franklin, NC. It finally stopped raining, the sun was shining, I was strolling downhill, and what do I come across, but a wonderful man staked out in the middle of trail with a cooler of cold drinks. What a pleasant surprise for lunch! The day continued easily, and then, about a mile and half from my destination, I walk out of the woods to see a full blown picnic set up right in front of me. Kevin and his daughters Kelly and Charley had brought chips, drinks, cookies, spare ribs and hamburgers for any hiker who happened to come by, PLUS they had some awesome bluegrass playing. I sat there and hung out with everyone for probably about two hours before I realized I finally had to move on to my campsite. It was really a great day.

The next couple of days were spent in town and then back in a shelter, until again, this past Wednesday, I hobble down from the mountain to cross a road, and what do I find? - a practically luxury hotdog roast. Two former thru-hikers, Bare Bear and Shufflefoot, had set up some amazing roadside trail magic. There were chips, cookies, sodas, as many hotdogs as you could eat (I ate 3), a wash station, chairs for everyone, and an up-to-date weather report (also a God-send for any hiker). I and others sat there for so long that Bare Bear pretty much had to kick us out just to get us hiking again. And now, here I am again in town, feasting on microwave pizza and chocolate ice cream. It's a tough life, being a thru-hiker. But I can really tell you, that on a hot, miserable day of hiking (or a cold, wet one), finding that a stranger has taken the time to come out and do any kind little thing for you is truly amazing, and those people truly are angels. They really make the trail the great place it is.

1 comment:

beck said...

maury! i believe in magic. once, on a hot day in pennsylvania, we found a cool mountain stream full of capri sun's tied to twigs with sticks, icey cold in the mountain water. i mean, i knew capri suns were good but, damn. those were good. damn. where ARE you now?! i check e-mail as much as i can, and think of you and your walking every single day. lucky duck. today i went swimming with a barracuda bigger than myself. eep! none of those in the blue ridge mountains, eh? listen to some bluegrass for me. this comment is a blaze of random excitement! a white blaze! follow it! :) sorry. i lvoe you, maury lynn. happy hiking!