April 4, 2008

Team Appalachia

So you may have heard of these mysterious spring break people that I was wandering about with for a week or so. Well, they called themselves "Team Appalachia" and they hailed mostly from Northwestern U. and one from St. Olaf's in Minnesota. I initially encountered these three lads at the shelter my first night on the trail. I was struck by how elaborate and gourmet their trail food was, and also at how skilled they were at starting campfires. The next day it was discovered that there was actually a fourth member to this party, whose arrival was being delayed due to air traffic problems. As the day continued, snow began to pour from the sky, and my motivation greatly deteriorated. I finally stumbled upon a campsite inhabited by none other than Team Appalachia, and remembering their superior fire-making skills, instantly stopped. The night was a jolly and enjoyable one. The next day was a much happier affair, and I was glad to be nearing the first town on the trail. As we approached our seeming point of departure, the boys made the bold decision to forgo frantically searching for a nonexistent campsite and live it up with me in the hostel. Thusly, I decided that I must discover who this mysterious fourth team member was, and my fate was sealed with Team Appalachia. For the next three days, we hiked, camped, laughed, cryed, and ate lots and lots of summer sausage. Did I mention they had packed food for five people for a week? Finally, Saturday arrived, and it was time for Team Appalachia to leave the lure of mother nature and rejoin their former lives of normalcy, and for me to continue on in the rain with fewer companions and much less free food. So farewell, Team Appalachia - Barney, Paul, Michael, and Chris - wherever you are. And by "wherever" I mean the midwest. Perhaps we shall meet again one day...

No comments: