July 28, 2008

Definitely not in Kansas

So I've been about a week now in the "actual North", made it all the way to New York, and here are just a few of the new and crazy things I've discovered...

There are lots of delis and pizzeria. And I'm not talking, like, Subway and Domino's. Real delis where you get giant sandwiches, with fresh bread and meat sliced before your eyes. And places where you can not only get pizza by the slice, but probably any kind of italian food you can think of.

There are actually trees and lakes and even farms. Contrary to popular belief, NJ and NY are not completely covered in urban sprawl. There are many towns, but a lot of them are just as small and rural as places down South.

People own pick-up trucks. Along the same lines, if you live on a farm in the country, you most likely own a truck, whether it's North or South. Although, I have noticed that many people call any kind of SUV a "truck".

There is a whole lot of ethnic diversity. At least more than in Christiansburg, VA, which I guess isn't too difficult. Italian, Hispanic, Eastern European, Asian. And today, just on a trip to Wal-Mart I saw more Hasidic Jews than ever before in my life. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Hasidic Jew before that wasn't in a movie or TV show.

And most of all - people are really nice. At least people around the trail. Right now I'm staying with a couple, who just invite hikers literally right into their home. They gave us rides, showers, laundry, beds, and food, for nothing. And a few days ago it was the same story. The mayor of Unionville, NY (really, the actual mayor) takes in any and every hiker that comes through his little village. The night I was there, the house was so packed that some people had to tent in the backyard; people were in the basement, on the floor, even on the living room couch. And with the help of two friends, he opens his entire house to everyone, just like you lived there - watch a movie, take a shower, drink all the soda (or beer), and make sure you get a good dinner and breakfast the next morning. It was unbelievable.

I have to say that these Yankees have gone above and beyond anything I ever expected. Of course, this weekend I will be taking a little excursion over to the other side - New York City. It's definitely going to be a shock to the senses, but I can't wait. Then we'll see how I really get along up here...

No comments: